EXPRESSION OF INTEREST: DESIGN, FABRICATION AND INSTALLATION OF RONALD NGALA SCULPTURE ALONG RONALD NGALA STREET IN NAIROBI COUNTY (REF:NMK/SUP/RNS/52)
National Museums of Kenya (NMK) proposes to install a life-size bronze sculpture of Ronald Ngala Statue along Ronald Ngala Street in Nairobi that will be a permanent reminder of the achievements and contributions of Ronald Ngala to the nation.
Ronald Ngala was a member of the political group of the African educated elite, who established a new political tradition in Kenya’s nationalist struggle to counter imperialism and colonialism. This resulted in creating the right conditions within which independence was handed over to the African majority. His contribution to the process of decolonization and nation-building in post-independence Kenya was immense. The sculpture will be installed along Ronald Ngala Street in Nairobi City.
The sculpture is envisaged as a dynamic statue showing a recognizable likeness to Ronald Ngala and conveying through stance a heroic presence. It is anticipated to be an imposing, powerful and engaging pose of Ronald Ngala with his right hand lifted up. The subject and style of the sculpture should be consistent with the ideals that guided the nation’s founders as they framed the new republic. The artwork should be over life size, with a height between seven and eight feet, and the total height, including the pedestal, not greater than twelve feet. Within that size range, the weight of the true bronze statue should be between 1,000 to 1,200 Kilograms.
We desire to procure an Artist/ Designer/ sculptor who will design, fabricate and install the statue in liaison with the Client (National Museums of Kenya).
- Develop a conceptual framework for the development of the artwork.
- Provide sketches including accurate and historically appropriate periodic clothing.
- Develop detailed drawings of the sculpture and the pedestal/base.
- Develop structural drawings for the pedestal commensurate with the developed sculpture.
- Provide Bill of quantities for entire works.
- Provide a guidelines and specifications for work plan.
COMPETENCE/ QUALIFICATIONS PORTFOLIO REQUIREMENTS:
- Company /personal profile.
- Certificate of Business incorporation/registration
- A valid KRA tax compliance certificate or equivalent
- One current resume detailing relevant experience.
- A letter of interest indicating personal style, conceptual theme development for this project.
- Colored preliminary renderings not larger than 12 inches of possible ideas for the statue, as well as concepts for the pedestal.
- Images of recent and relevant works.
- Original and copy of the Expression of Interest documents
- Statement of the Artist’s ability to complete the project within the stipulated time line by the deadline.
- The designer/artist should demonstrate experience in handling similar tasks over the last 7 years.
- Three (3) references with complete contact information from the Artists’/Designers/ Sculptor relevant projects.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours: Monday to Friday 8:00Am to 5:00Pm.
The completed Expression of Interest and accompanying documents must be submitted in plain sealed envelope and clearly marked “Expression Of Interest (EOI) for the Design, Fabrication and Installation of Ronald Ngala Sculpture along Ronald Ngala street in Nairobi County (REF: NMK/SUP/RNS/52) and should be deposited in the Tender Box located at the Earth Sciences Building reception area on or before Tuesday, 1st October, 2019 at 12:00Pm and addressed to :
National Museums of Kenya,
P O Box 40658, 00100, Nairobi
Bids will be opened immediately thereafter in the presence of bidders or their representatives who chose to attend.