TechnoServe Agronomy Business Advisor Jobs In Kenya
AGRONOMY BUSINESS ADVISOR – NESPRESSO AAA SUSTAINABLE QUALITYTM PROGRAM
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a non-profit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
TechnoServe is implementing the Nespresso AAA Sustainable QualityTM Program in Kenya. The program has the goal of impacting smallholder coffee farmers through increased coffee incomes as a result of improved productivity, quality and sustainability.
The Agronomy Business Advisor shall support the implementation of strategies that will enable clients to achieve sustainable increases in coffee quality and yields.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Sensitize cooperative leaders, smallholder coffee farmers and local stakeholders on the TechnoServe coffee project work.
- Implement existing strategies for providing farmers with coffee agronomy training and with structured post-training farm visits to improve yields and quality through adoption of best practices.
- Train, mentor, coach and support Farmer Trainers on all technical and operational aspects of their work and in relationship with farmers.
- Participate in the implementation of the defined project monitoring, measurement and evaluation activities that ensure accurate and consistent capture of data for project reporting and documenting of impact.
- Create linkages between cooperative leaders, farmers and suppliers of recommended inputs and other farm requirements.
- Cultivate and manage good relationship with clients both at leadership and farmer levels as well as with key industry stakeholders and community leaders at local levels.
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, agronomy, horticulture or related agricultural sciences.
- At least three years’ professional experience – ideally in the private sector – in one or more of the following areas: coffee processing or agronomy; agro-business or cooperative management; agriculture; training; extension services.
- Demonstrated good understanding of the Kenya coffee industry and especially the cooperatives sector.
- Possess an aptitude and skills for training adults in a field set up.
- Strong planning skills and ability to generate innovative solutions in highly dynamic work situations.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and present well-written, cohesive analyses and reports.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili with strong interpersonal, collaborative and cross-cultural skills.
- Willingness to spend significant time in project implementation sites located in rural areas.
To Apply: Please submit your application (by email only) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title placed in the subject line. Please include (1) cover letter describing your interest, (2) curriculum vitae, (3) three years’ salary history, and (4) telephone contacts of three professional referees.
Please include all requirements in a single document (pdf). Applications will be treated confidentially.
Deadline for applications is 28th April 2016. Note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.