Kericho County Tenders 2016- Londiani Dam Water Supply Project EOI
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (EOI), OPEN INTERNATIONAL TENDER FOR FUNDING, DESIGN REVIEW AND CONSTRUCTION OF THE PROPOSED LONDIANI DAM WATER SUPPLY PROJECT IN KERICHO COUNTY
TENDER No. NWC/EOI/020/2015/2016
- General information
National Water Conservation & Pipeline Corporation (NWCPC) was established under the State Corporations Act, Chapter 446 of the Laws of Kenya vide Legal Notice 270 of 24th June, 1988. The Corporation’s mandate is to develop and spearhead dam construction for water supplies and other multi-purpose uses.
- Project Background and scope
In its effort to provide potable water to all in line with constitutional provisions with regard to right to water and Sustainable Development Goals (SDG), the Government of Kenya through NWCPC has prioritized development of the Londiani Dam Water Supply Project in Kericho County. The proposed Project will be vital in provision of efficient and sustainable water supply system, production of hydro-electric power, water for irrigation, creation of employment and enhancement of the socio-economic well-being of the region. Project will be realized through construction of a dam on Kipchorian River.
The Feasibility study of the proposed Londiani dam was carried out and the dam has indicated capability to meet the demands of both Kipkelion East and Kipkelion West both located in Kericho County. The dam shall comprise of a 42m high zoned rock-fi ll embankment with an impermeable clay core. The capacity of the reservoir will be 55Million cubic meters. Treatment works will have capacity of 50,000m3/day with appropriate water system network and storage facilities to serve an ultimate population of 395,143. The project is proposed to be executed by Finance Design and Build (FDB) development consortium (contracting firm / joint venture). FDB fi rm shall source for funds, design and construct the proposed project.
- Scope of works:
The FDB development consortium shall undertake:
- Conduct design review of:
- 42m high zoned rock-fi ll with clay core embankment (1Mm3)
- Morning glory spillway with 6m wide crest that reduces to 3m tube (about 600m3 of concrete)
- Diversion/Service Culvert (300m3 concrete).
- Water treatment works with a capacity of 50,000m3 per day,
- Hydropower system to generate 650kW.
- Road diversion/Upgrade to tarmac standard 5km.
- 33KV power line relocation 4km.
- Relocation of a primary school, and three churches.
- Construction of a road bridge/Box culvert.
- Construction of pump house, 400mm dia. rising main and pumps to deliver 11,500m3/day against a head of 175m.
- Various pipelines ranging in Diameter from 600-150mm gravity mains.
- Water tanks ranging from 5000-500m3.
- Construction of the above structures.
iii. Any other work necessary for smooth project implementation and sustainability
- Request for expression of interest
In order to realize these goals, NWCPC now invites Expression of interest (EOI) from qualifi ed Finance, Design review and Build (FDB) development consortium (contractor or consortium with relevant experts) which shall source for financing, review design, construct and commission the proposed project. The financing plan should be in acceptable terms of the National Treasury.
The intention of this invitation is to select competent FDB contracting fi rms/joint ventures. Selected FDB firms shall then be requested to submit their proposals in the second stage of procurement.
- Specific Request Outputs
5.1. Sourcing of funds
The following should be taken into account when sourcing funds.
- Terms of repayment including interest rate, repayment period and grant element.
- Credit terms to be within the limits acceptable by the National Treasury.
5.2. Review of project design
The dam has been designed. However, the existing design must be reviewed by the Development Consortium to ensure its soundness and compatibility with expertise of the Consortium.
5.3. Scope of Financing
The financier is required to provide adequate funding for the project. The construction phase should be done within a maximum period of four (4) years and construction works must meet industry standards.
- Eligibility and Requirements
NWCPC now invites eligible FDB contractors/ joint ventures to indicate their interest in sourcing for funds, design review, and construction of works. Interested contractors/joint ventures should provide information demonstrating that they have required financial capabilities or backing, technical qualification and relevant experience to perform the services and works. This information should include copies of all previous works completion certificates, company profile, ownership documents for equipment & vehicles owned, latest audited accounts, curriculum vitae and certificates of staff.
The following is the pre- qualification criteria:
- Ability to mobilize 200 Million US Dollars credit for the project on acceptable terms as defi ned above. Grant element should be indicated if any.
- Should be registered with the National Construction Authority Category 1 Contractor for local firms or equivalent for international firms.
- Copies of certificate of incorporation/registration for local fi rms or equivalent for foreign fi rms.
- If a Joint Venture (JV) or consortium, arrangement details must be provided up to a maximum of Four JVs.
- v) Should have a minimum turnover of 50 million US Dollar for the last fi ve years.
- vi) Experience in implementation of works of at least two (2) design and built projects of similar nature and complexity in the last Ten (10) years.
vii) Necessary equipment for construction of dam, water treatment plant, transmission pipeline and storage tanks.
viii) Experience in developing countries.
- ix) Availability of appropriate skilled staff including: Geotechnical engineer, Geologist, Water/ Hydraulics engineer, Hydrologists, Irrigation Engineer, Structural engineer, Dam expert, water resources expert, Environmentalist, GIS Expert, Socio-economist, Materials engineer, Construction manager, Construction Supervisor, CAD Specialists, Land economist, Health and Safety expert. Etc
- x) Litigation history signed by commissioner of oaths or equivalent party
- xi) Should provide audited accounts for the last 3 years
xii) The applicant shall demonstrate financial capability
The shortlisted contractors or Joint ventures will participate in the second stage of the procurement process. This will involve preparation of ‘Finance Design Build’ (FDB) bids from Request for Proposal documents issued by the Client.
(7) Clarification and Submission of Eol
Interested Funding Design and Build (FDB) firms or Joint ventures may download EOI document from www.watercorporation.go.ke Further information may be obtained from firstname.lastname@example.org or from National Water Conservation and Pipeline Corporation (Procurement Office), Industrial Area, Dunga Road, P. O. Box 30173-00100, Nairobi during normal working hours (8.00a.m to 5.00p.m from Monday to Friday) excluding public holidays.
All documents relating to the EOI and any correspondence shall be in English Language. Completed EOI are to be submitted in One (1) original, one electronic copy and (3) hard copies all in English and in a sealed envelope, super-scribed “TENDER NO: NWC/EOI/020/2015/2016 EXPRESSION OF INTEREST FOR FUNDING, DESIGN REVIEW AND CONSTRUCTION OF LONDIANI DAM WATER SUPPLY PROJECT”. They should be deposited in Tender Box 1 or 2 at NWCPC ‘s Reception or be addressed to the Managing Director, NWCPC, P.O. Box 30173-00100 Nairobi, so as to be received before 12.00 Hrs East African Time on 13 June 2016 All late submissions will be rejected.
The submitted EOI documents will be opened immediately thereafter in the presence of the participants’ representatives who choose to attend the opening at the Corporation’s conference room. Canvassing shall lead to disqualification.
All applicants whose applications will have been received on or before the closing date and time will be advised in due course, of the results of their applications. Only candidates selected under this EOI process will be invited to tender/submit request for proposal.
National Water Conservation & Pipeline Corporation
P.O Box 30173-00100